(POSTED: May 30, 2005)
Berry Lemon Tart
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1-1/2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons water
3 slightly beaten egg yolks
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cold unsalted butter (no substitutes)
1 beaten egg yolk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons poppy seed
1/4 cup unsalted butter (no substitutes), cut into 4 pieces
Nonstick cooking spray
1/4 cup apple jelly
3 cups fresh strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries
1. For filling, in a saucepan, stir together the 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Add lemon peel, the 3 tablespoons lemon juice, and water. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Slowly stir half of the lemon mixture into the 3 egg yolks. Return all egg yolk mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Add butter all at once, stirring until completely melted. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Chill at least 1 hour or for up to 2 days.
2. Combine flour and the 1/4 cup sugar. Cut in the 1/3 cup butter using a pastry blender until pieces are the size of small peas. Combine 1 beaten egg yolk, the 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 2 teaspoons poppy seed; gradually stir into flour mixture. Gently knead dough just until mixture forms a ball.
3. Lightly coat a 9-inch round tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray. Roll pastry between two sheets of waxed paper into an 11-inch circle. Remove top paper. Invert pastry into tart pan; remove waxed paper. Trim pastry even with rim of pan. Using a fork, generously prick bottom and sides of pastry. Line pastry shell with double thickness of foil. Bake in 375 degree F oven for 7 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 9 to 10 minutes more or until golden. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
4. In a small saucepan, heat and stir apple jelly and 2 teaspoons water until melted. Cool slightly. Wash berries; drain and gently dry on several layers of paper towels.
5. Loosen and remove sides of tart pan; place shell on serving platter. Spread lemon filling into shell. Top with berries. Brush berries gently with jelly mixture. Serve immediately, or cover and chill up to 4 hours. Makes 8 servings.
Make-ahead tip: Wrap pastry dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before using.
Source: Better Homes & Gardens